Saturday, September 26, 2009

What is wrong pg 118

Last Thursday, I was asked to do a presentation in front of the class about what is on page 118 of the Custom program for CIS. It is a WHAT IS WRONG problem out of the book. The situation that was giving me was when a lower skilled employee made a spreadsheet of projected sales for the near future and he tells me just to print it and present. Obviously, there was something wrong with it. I checked it and it was all wrong.

This is a real world experience. When I heard that Ernest Hemingway, one of the greatest writers, made a lot of mistakes when he would write. I made it a point to have myself and someone else check it for me.

Last semester, I was taking an English class and the teacher was strict on mistakes. The first paper I turned in was a D. I was determined not to have that happen again. On the second paper, I proofread myself, I found a lot of mistakes that I didn't even know were there. Then I had my wife proofread it. She found a lot more.

Another example just today. I went to have one of my tires replaced. The advertisement behind them read," Is your A/C running Godd." Obviously no one read that.

This is a great example of proofing what you present. How would it of been if I had just presented what the intern had given me. I would of been the laughing stock of the whole company.

Remember, proofread what you write in word, in excel, in power point, and in any other report type situation.

http://ezinearticles.com/?The-Writing-Style-of-Hemingway&id=70613

No comments: